Saturday, September 12, 2020
Thursday, August 20, 2020
"Newly refurbished", the former Loew's Boro Park opened in October 1966 as the Yiddish Boro Park Theatre.
The New York Times, October 3, 1966, reported an “almost full house" for a revue produced by Ben Bonus who offered “the same formula that has worked for him on Second Avenue for several seasons: variety plus a movie, usually in Yiddish.”
“The audience was apparently from the area. Many seemed to come from the neighborhood's Orthodox community; there were somewhat more skullcaps in evidence than one usually sees in Second Avenue houses.”
|Home Reporter and Sunset News, Oct. 13, 1967|
In 1967, advertised as the New Boro Park, it offered double features and stage shows. Eventually, like so many other older Brooklyn houses, the Boro Park turned to "Adults Only" before closing in 1971.
The theatre was finally demolished in August 1976 (Michael Miller, other sources list 1975).
Sunday, July 26, 2020
Exhibitors Herald-World, January 18, 1930:
"The Pitkin in Brooklyn, designed by Thomas W. Lamb, is added to the group now growing under a policy of expansion toward outlying communities."
"Rendering of the Exterior: Thomas W. Lamb, architect"
"A corridor of the mezanine floor, is to be noted for the luxuary of its arches and pilasters."
"The men's lounge, appointed in medieval style. The floor is of variegated tile.
The wall is of rough-finished plaster, and the ceiling bears finely stenciled designs."
"The women's lounge, lavishly decorated in medieval fashion.
The ceiling border, executed in plaster, is especially noteworthy.
The walls are cloth-covered, while the floor is of tile.
Through the portals may be seen a mural done after the manner
of the Spanish primitives."
"The auditorium, showing the wealth of decorative material executed principally in plaster."